Sunday, October 10, 2010

my muse-ical box

having strong musically opinionated parents growing up, i too have inherited a passion for music. as my folks themselves were only young when i graced (or should i say disrupted) the world with my presence, they had a mordern taste for the early 90's music that permeated my childhood. i have fond memories of head banging to nirvana and screaming my lungs out to alanis morrisette... in my ballerina costumes!


like most 90's kids i enjoyed pop sensations like spice girls, peter andre and hanson along with jumping on the pre teen bandwagon of listening to songs with swear words, cue eminem and the bloodhound gang. but it wasnt really until after high school that i started to develop my own tastes outside of my dad's (who only permitted us to listen to two radio stations in the car, the rock and hauraki rock).


rock music was still where it was at in my early teens, with the likes of red hot chili peppers and incubus at the top of my list (they both still remain favs of mine). and im proud to say RHCP's californication was the 1st CD i ever brought. although, at one point i even leaned towards the darker side of rock - the heavy metalers such as deftones, system of a down, slipknot, megadeath and even, (dare i say it), cradle of filth. i often attended concerts of all my fav rock musicians.


my musical influences lightened up with age, and i guess you could say i listened to more indie style music in the last few years. in fact anything with melodies that didn't have the heavy baseline i was used to. i took my musical blinders off and open-heartedly listened to a world full of new music. i have the widest range of music genres on my ipod (forgive me though, i am terrible at identifying exactly which genre each are now days). a few of my playlist revolving artists over the last couple of years include vampire weekend, mgmt, razorlight, kings of leon, cold war kids, the kooks, she & him, the shins, newton faulkner, paolo nutini, passion pit, florence and the machine, badly drawn boy, pete doherty, the view, edward sharpe and the magnetic zeros, red light company, gossip, the last shadow puppets, the courteeners... oh the list really does go on.


just recently, in true wanaka style, i have been introduced to dubstep - the town's winter vibe of choice. being described as tightly coiled productions with overwhelming bass lines and reverberant drum patterns, clipped samples with occasional words. i have had many a nights in the clubs dancing (or trancing) to the heavy heartbeat sounds.


wanaka also proudly plays its native new zealand music often. after being out of the country for a year i am so appreciative to be surrounded by such an array of nz talent. thrashing beauties like shapeshifter, kora, tahuna breaks, sola rosa, adi dick, gin, la roux, ladyhawke, the lookie loos... again the list does go on and on. i do also have to say big ups to our neighbouring aussie musos too including pendulum, the temper trap and thirsty merc.


to end my musical rant i have to leave you with a kiwi band that is rocking my socks off right now. the slutty new wave/electro duo who describe themselves as "a cross between a late 80's police drama intro theme and a sophisticated super hussy"...










here's to the kids of 88


xxx

1 comment: